As an interdisciplinary research institute of the ETH Domain, Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, conducts cutting-edge materials and technology research. Empa’s R&D activities focus on meeting the requirements of industry and the needs of society, and thus link applications-oriented research to the practical implementation of new ideas. As a result, Empa is capable of providing its partners with customized solutions that not only enhance their innovative edge and international competitiveness, but also help to improve the quality of life for the public at large. A careful use of our natural resources and a way of thinking in terms of closed cycles is a core element of Empa's approach. Through an efficient technology transfer Empa is turning research results into marketable innovations: Empa – The Place where Innovation Starts.
Empa's focus in the field of additive manufacturing (AM) is the development of metal alloys and composite materials, optimized for the special process conditions in AM. Focus areas of our work are:
- Development of novel materials and material structures with simulations and experiments.
- Research of the melting and solidification process of metallic materials under AM conditions
- Research and development of process strategies for the production of workpieces with anisotropic material properties
- Real-time process monitoring for monitoring and control of the AM processes
- Development of processes for the preparation, handling and recycling of powders